RICHMOND. Members of the Virginia Hospital & Healthcare Association (VHHA) elected James B. Cole, President and CEO, Virginia Hospital Center, Arlington, Chairman of the association. Mr. Cole was honored during the association’s 88th Annual Meeting of the Membership, held November 5-7, at The Homestead in Hot Springs, Virginia. He succeeds John L. Fitzgerald, CEO, Inova Fair Oaks Hospital, Fairfax, who remains on the VHHA Board of Directors as Immediate Past Chairman.
“The Commonwealth has no shortage of bright people, people who want to do the right thing,” said Mr. Cole in remarks to the membership. “Together, we can envision, advocate for and work for a health care delivery system in Virginia that: achieves zero harm to all patients; always provides an optimal patient and family experience; adopts the concept of high reliability in health care; implements health care work processes driven by evidence-based best practices; and provides top-tier quality at the lowest cost. Virginia’s hospitals and health systems must work with our elected officials to promote policies that unite the Commonwealth for the good of all Virginians.”
Chairman-elect is Mary N. Mannix, President and CEO, Augusta Health, Fishersville; and Robert F. Carrel, President, HCA Capital Division, Richmond, was elected Secretary/Treasurer.
Other VHHA directors are:
- Toni R. Ardabell, CEO, Bon Secours St. Mary’s Hospital, Richmond
- Steven C. Arner, Senior Vice President/COO, Carilion Clinic, Roanoke
- David L. Brash, Senior Vice President, Business Development and Rural Strategy, Wellmont Health System, Kingsport, TN
- Wade D. Broughman, Executive Vice President/COO, Riverside Health System,Newport News
- Sean T. Connaughton, President and CEO, Virginia Hospital & Healthcare Association, Richmond
- James D. Dahling, President and CEO, Children’s Hospital of The King’s Daughters,Norfolk
- John F. Duval, CEO, MCV Hospitals & Clinics, Richmond
- Michael V. Gentry, Corporate Vice President/President Southside Hospitals, Sentara Healthcare, Norfolk
- Michael P. McDermott, CEO, Mary Washington Healthcare, Fredericksburg
- Sean S. McMurray, Vice President and CEO, Mountain States Health Alliance Northeast Market, Abingdon
- Mark H. Merrill, President and CEO, Valley Health, Winchester
- Peter M. Mulkey, CEO, Clinch Valley Medical Center, Richlands
- Melissa L. Robson, President, Novant Prince William Medical Center, Manassas
- Pamela Sutton-Wallace, CEO, University of Virginia Medical Center, Charlottesville
- E.W. Tibbs, President/CEO, Centra, Lynchburg
The Virginia Hospital & Healthcare Association is an alliance of 110 hospitals and 35 health delivery systems that develops and advocates for sound health care policy in the Commonwealth. Its vision is to achieve excellence in both health care and health.