The speaker will discuss the latest medical staff bylaws updates by The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) and The Joint Commission (TJC). She will discuss whether separate medical staff for multiple hospitals is required. She will review the many CMS and TJC requirements for medical staff bylaws, rules, and regulations, including policy differences and requirements. Finally, she will review challenging medical staff standards, requirements for physician extenders and the role of scribes. Sandra has no real or perceived conflicts of interest that relate to this presentation.
- Discuss the responsibility of the medical staff to be organized into a self-governing staff that oversees the quality of care provided by all practitioners
- Identify what is new in the standards
- Explain the differences between bylaws, rules and regulations and policies
- Explain what is meant by accompanying detail associated with Elements of Performance 12-36 and where these can be placed
- Identify the standards that continue to be challenging for the medical staff