Imagine a Virginia that . . .
Provides an optimal patient and family experience, always
The Board of Directors of the Virginia Hospital & Healthcare Association has decided that Patient and Family Experience is a priority as it relates to the collective efforts to improve safety, quality, and service excellence for those individuals receiving health care services in the Commonwealth of Virginia. The priority also includes the promotion of high reliability. Based on the desired response from members attending the 2015 Patient Safety Summit, the organization has structured a Forum to focus on Patient and Family Experience as a component of Service Excellence.
Interested members of hospitals and health systems that wish to participate in an opportunity to explore strategies and methods to improve Patient and Family Experiences as measured by the Hospital Consumer Assessment of Healthcare Providers and Systems in Virginia (HCAHPS).
- Develop guidelines to assist hospitals and health care leaders to achieve the cultural change necessary to create an optimal patient and family experience in the Commonwealth.
- Develop and support a statewide network for sharing information and best practice strategies for creating an optimal patient and family experience.
- Support the training, education, and practice strategies that create an optimal patient and family experience in health care facilities around the Commonwealth.
- Monitor ongoing performance by reviewing Virginia HCAHPS and other patient experience data.
- Present a comprehensive written document that describes the outcomes required to demonstrate HCAHPS scores that reflect improvement of the patient and family experience in the Commonwealth.
The Center for Healthcare Excellence launched the 2017 Patient and Family Experience Improvement Program for hospitals and health systems with an April 26 webinar featuring an overview of Hospital Consumer Assessment of Healthcare Providers and Systems (HCAHPS) data and state domain rankings, and a presentation from Virginia Hospital Center Director of Patient Experience Mary Catlin regarding the intersection between patient experience, employee engagement, safety, and quality.
(Alternate viewing link here.)